Home | Ice Fishing Reports | HSOList Classifieds | HSOshow | Resorts,Guides,Boats | Ice Leaders | Business Services | Site Map | OutdoorProStore
@ the Leading Edge:
Search
Featured HSOList Classifieds
Terrova I-Pilot 80 US2 Bow mount trolling motor
FS Frabill Guardian Portable Fish House
Canon 50D
**SOLD** 2005 Franklin 38? Travel Trailer For Sale!
FL-12 Vexilar
River Rest Lodge Mobridge SD
2000 Evinrude 15 hp fourstroke
New Topics
A little something to get the heart pumping
by Rather_B_Fishing
23 minutes 2 seconds ago
Blade Cover for Nilsmaster
by bmoen
51 minutes 19 seconds ago
LOTW ice fishing
by wallyH
Today at 10:34 AM
Events For You to Enjoy!
On The Forums ...
Camp Ripley deer hunt results-stories from 1st season?
by SmellEsox
3 minutes 6 seconds ago
Pelican?
by Macsimus
6 minutes 51 seconds ago
And this from a guy who earned his living from technology
by upnorth
8 minutes 54 seconds ago
Fresh Mallard, Kale & Mushrooms
by pushbutton
10 minutes 2 seconds ago
LOTW ice fishing
by wallyH
16 minutes 16 seconds ago
A little something to get the heart pumping
by Rather_B_Fishing
23 minutes 2 seconds ago
Walking Dead
by McGurk
27 minutes 43 seconds ago
Stop power loading off the Horseshoe Chain of Lake launches!
by gunner55
29 minutes 53 seconds ago
Move Kalil to Guard??
by Big Dave2
31 minutes 42 seconds ago
The Chair is Against the Wall
by eyeguy 54
33 minutes 47 seconds ago
Wild 2014/2015 Regular Season
by bbfenatic
44 minutes 28 seconds ago
View from the stand '14
by rbs
45 minutes 13 seconds ago
Pelican Lake Fishing Reports - Ashby
by BoxMN
48 minutes 38 seconds ago
Storing boat outside under a tarp
by gunner55
48 minutes 53 seconds ago
Posting Land/Handling Trespassers and Neighbors
by harvey lee
48 minutes 54 seconds ago
FREE HSOList.com
Classifieds
Terrova I-Pilot 80 US2 Bow mount trolling motor
FS Frabill Guardian Portable Fish House
Canon 50D
Forum Stats
61690 Members
233 Forums
303604 Topics
2626579 Posts
Share HotSpotOutdoors with family & your good friends.
Who's Online
213 registered Members, 1555 Guests and YOU online now.

Become family and
share HSO.

"i'm having fun"
At the Leading Edge
"!!

Topic Options
Hop to:
#1379176 - 04/28/08 09:15 PM
using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel
mainbutter Offline
Sr HSO Family

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
So I've never learned to fly fish, and I don't have any fly fishing equipment, but I have to say I've frequently been tempted to try it out simply because the flies you use for lure just look pretty incredible.

What makes a fly lure different from the lures you use on spinning/baitcasting setups? Would it be worth my time to see what happens if I tie on a fly to my ultralight spinning rod?
Top Archived
#1379273 - 04/28/08 10:17 PM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: mainbutter]
DinkADunk Offline
Sr HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: MN
When you use spinning/casting gear the weight of the lure casts the line. With fly fishing the weight of the line casts the fly. If you tie a fly on to your spinning/casting gear it won't cast because the fly doesn't weigh much. You can add weight (split shot) in order to get it to cast but then the fly won't stay on the surface (if that's what you want).

Since most flies weigh very little another method is needed to cast and that is a section of heavy line - otherwise known as a fly line. In fly fishing the line and rod does the work and the fly is along for the ride.

You can use some nymph patters with spinning gear as a nymph is designed to sink so adding a split shot or two to get it to cast is fine. Otherwise I would stick to the smaller Mepps lures which simulate some characteristics of fly patterns but are designed to be cast.
Top Archived
#1379329 - 04/28/08 11:10 PM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: DinkADunk]
PDXFisher Offline
Sr IceLeaders.com Family

Loc: Portland, OR
There are little plastic, mostly solid bobbers in the shape of teardrop that you can use to cast flies. My father set me up with them when I was seven, but I quickly graduated to a 7' 5wt fenwick with a Pflueger Medalist ;\)
Top Archived
#1380608 - 04/29/08 06:14 PM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: PDXFisher]
erickol Offline

Loc: Mpls, MN
casting bubbles work fine. you can also use a slip type bobber.
Top Archived
#1382067 - 04/30/08 05:17 PM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: erickol]
goblueM Offline
Sr HSO Family

Loc: St. Paul/Blacksburg VA
I would just buy a cheapo fly rod combo, you can get pretty nice ones for under a 100 bucks
Top Archived
#1382365 - 04/30/08 08:16 PM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: goblueM]
Duncan7709 Offline
HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Rochester, MN
I second goBlueM
Top Archived
#1393176 - 05/08/08 01:50 AM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: Duncan7709]
UncleKes Offline

Loc: Fridley Minnesota
I would do like the man says and buy an inexpensive, balanced fly rod and reel. You can pick one up for a under $100.00. Trust me! Despite all the "AND A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT" dreams out there fly fishing is NOT all that difficult. Granted you won't be making 80 foot casts like they do in the above movie, but you will be casting far enough to catch fish and over time you will improve your casts.

Having said that, Yes, you can use flies with a spinning reel. Thread a Casting Bubble type bobber to your line and pay out about 5-6 feet of line. Tie the fly to the end of the line. The casting bubble gives you the weight you need to cast the fly out with a spinning rod.

In Fly fishing the weight of the line is thrown and the lure (fly) simply follows the thrown line. With a spinning rod the weight of the lure is thrown and the line follows.

Edited by UncleKes (05/08/08 01:53 AM)
Top Archived
#1393520 - 05/08/08 09:15 AM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: mainbutter]
Bob/Mn Online   content

Loc: Hubbard CNT.
I use flies on a drop shot rig for late summer panfish. In MN up to three flies on one line is legal.
Top Archived
#1395984 - 05/10/08 12:01 AM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: Bob/Mn]
copperjohn Offline
HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: EastSlope, Montana
I think one of the best beginner outfits is the boxed set from Scientific Angler Usually around 70 bucks. You get everything you need in a balanced outfit, all you need are flys and maybe tippit and a couple of spare tapered leaders. Besides being a 3M product, I think they are a far greater value than most outfits in that range or cheaper. I still use several that I've picked up from Wally World on clearance.

And the easiest place to learn your casting is knee deep in a lake casting for sunnies, away from anything that will grab your backcast. Flyfishing videos can be very helpful as well as books, with pictures, like "The Idiot's Guide to Flyfishing"

The learning curve seems daunting at first, but at some point it will click and you'll first comprehend, then progress, then become a slave to an addiction. Sort of like the rest of fishing
Top Archived
#1396096 - 05/10/08 08:36 AM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: copperjohn]
Attwoods Offline
Hello I'm New

Loc: Rapid City,SD
I fish for anyhting that swims with a flyrod and it is a real kick to do so!! I would also rec that you look for a starter flu combo. Cabelas has a traditional II series around 100 bucks that is pretty awesome. I have fished Walton Powells, Sage, Fenwich,Winstons and Scotts and have an 8wt Traditional that rivals all of the above much to my surprize I might add. I would add though when using the torpedo casting bobber tye on a tapered leader to the terminal side of the bobber and you will get a better turn over on your fly and that goes for both dryflys and nymphs. Have fun and start with sunnies it is a BLAST Garrett
Top Archived
#1396097 - 05/10/08 08:36 AM
Re: using fly fishing flies with a spinning rod/reel [Re: copperjohn]
Attwoods Offline
Hello I'm New

Loc: Rapid City,SD
I fish for anyhting that swims with a flyrod and it is a real kick to do so!! I would also rec that you look for a starter flu combo. Cabelas has a traditional II series around 100 bucks that is pretty awesome. I have fished Walton Powells, Sage, Fenwich,Winstons and Scotts and have an 8wt Traditional that rivals all of the above much to my surprize I might add. I would add though when using the torpedo casting bobber tye on a tapered leader to the terminal side of the bobber and you will get a better turn over on your fly and that goes for both dryflys and nymphs. Have fun and start with sunnies it is a BLAST Garrett
Top Archived
Use the Share Buttons below, If You Like this topic.
FishingMinnesota
HSO Business
Discover how HSO delivers outdoor marketing.
Guerrilla Tactics Unveiled - Pound this link to see for yourself.

Moderator:  Dark Cloud, Nate McVey 

We Thank the
Quality Business that
Help Us Have Fun