Home | Ice Fishing Reports | HSOList Classifieds | HSOshow | Resorts,Guides,Boats | Ice Leaders | Business Services | Site Map | OutdoorProStore
@ the Leading Edge:
Search
Featured HSOList Classifieds
Shappell S2000 Portable Ice Shack / Fish House / Hunting Blind
St. Croix Premier 7? 9?, XXXHF Musky / Catfish Fishing Pole
6 X16 fish house
9 x 18 Ice House (skid) / Perfect for year-round use
Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress auger
Otter Cottage II portable
New Beretta 92FS 9mm
New Topics
Fish Shack Furnaces
by birdswacker
11/23/14 04:50 PM
Cedar tomorrow afternoon?
by al15abc
11/23/14 04:45 PM
Meet Mike Iaconelli
by mickeyg
11/23/14 04:38 PM
Events For You to Enjoy!
On The Forums ...
Gopher Football 2014
by schmitty3
1 second ago
pheasant hunting without a dog
by Dave S
3 minutes 53 seconds ago
Flip over versus hub
by StCroixMMAHouse
6 minutes 45 seconds ago
Walkable ice
by FshBloodRiverMud
8 minutes 50 seconds ago
Resorts that rent spear houses
by KenM1987
11 minutes 58 seconds ago
Party Hunting
by KenM1987
14 minutes 24 seconds ago
Graph/GPS combo options?
by CaptainMusky
23 minutes 8 seconds ago
Wheel house first timer - have questions
by rocky
25 minutes 17 seconds ago
Vikes vs Fudge??
by Alagnak
25 minutes 19 seconds ago
Lake Vermilion Fishing Reports by Casey's Guide Service (Everything else too)
by Casey Sunsdahl
25 minutes 20 seconds ago
Hilldog! Oh this should help her in 2016
by pushbutton
35 minutes 18 seconds ago
Redwood Lake
by lightedbobber
36 minutes 12 seconds ago
Fish Shack Furnaces
by mysnopro
46 minutes 10 seconds ago
Old?
by fishersofmen
50 minutes 54 seconds ago
Cedar tomorrow afternoon?
by al15abc
Today at 04:45 PM
FREE HSOList.com
Classifieds
Shappell S2000 Portable Ice Shack / Fish House / Hunting Blind
St. Croix Premier 7? 9?, XXXHF Musky / Catfish Fishing Pole
6 X16 fish house
Forum Stats
61820 Members
233 Forums
304558 Topics
2640855 Posts
Share HotSpotOutdoors with family & your good friends.
Who's Online
203 registered Members, 1918 Guests and YOU online now.

Become family and
share HSO.

"i'm having fun"
At the Leading Edge
"!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Hop to:
#1332213 - 03/26/08 07:22 AM
Licenses withheld until child support is paid
IFallsRon Offline
Sr HSO Family

Loc: St. Cloud. MN
Here's an something that should be brought to Minnesota to protect children.

New state program withholds hunting, fishing privileges for 'deadbeat' parents

Licenses withheld until child support is paid

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - When Rachel Miller got a child-support check for more than $14,000 last fall, she never would have guessed the long-awaited money appeared because the father of her two sons likes to hunt white-tail deer.

The state refused to renew his hunting license as part of a new program that gives deadbeat dads an ultimatum: Pay up now or give up your right to hunt and fish.

"I thought someone was pulling a joke on me," said Miller, who lives in Roscoe, just north of Rockford. "I thought, 'It's a little late for April Fools'. Not funny.' "

Matching up hunting licenses against lists of parents behind on their payments is one of the state's newest ways to use technology as a dragnet to chip away at the long-standing problem of child-support collection.

In the six months the program has been in effect, the state has collected nearly $130,000 from 90 parents who owed at least $1,000 each in child support and had to make good to be allowed to fish or hunt. An additional 88 parents decided to forgo the licenses rather than pay their child support tabs. Collections are expected to grow even more rapidly after Illinoisans swarm to renew licenses that expire en masse Monday and fishing season starts to pick up.

Gov. Rod Blagojevich vowed to improve on Illinois' ranking among the nation's worst at child support collection when he took office in 2003. Last year, the state collected a record $1.2 billion in payments. Despite improvement that garnered awards from watchdog groups, however, state officials say custodial parents, mostly women, still are owed $3.2 billion in back child support.

The hunting license crackdown is merely one tool in the state's arsenal aimed at forcing parents to pay what they owe for their children. A program launched several years ago withholds professional licenses, such as medical or accounting licenses, from parents behind in their child support. In January, the state began sending warning notices to deadbeat parents threatening to suspend their driver's licenses if they fail to start paying up within 60 days. More than $127,000 has been collected.

Illinois is trying to duplicate the success of other states, where people have shelled out enormous sums to preserve their right to hunt. In Maine, one hunter paid $30,000 in back child support after being selected in an annual lottery for one of only 3,000 coveted licenses to hunt that state's majestic moose.

For Michael DeBrito, Miller's ex-boyfriend, the incentive was deer, not moose. He hadn't made a child-support payment for his teenage sons, Anthony and Michael, since 2005, according to court documents and state officials. Miller had about given up hope.

"I had paid more in lawyer's fees than I had ever collected," she said. "It was costing too much money to try and collect a little bit of money."

Then DeBrito tried to renew his hunting license last year. For the first time in the 22 years he has been hunting white-tail deer, DeBrito said, he was denied.

Instead, he was given a phone number.

"It showed an error, and when I called the number, they said [the license] was not being issued because of back child support," DeBrito said.

Under the new state program, people who apply for a hunting or fishing license through a sporting goods store or other designated vendor will be denied a license if they are flagged as delinquent in child support. Their names are marked for rejection if they appear on lists maintained by the Department of Natural Resources, which oversees outdoors activities, and the Department of Healthcare and Family Services, which oversees child support collections.

DeBrito blamed a paperwork mistake for Miller not receiving payments, but Ruth Igoe, a spokeswoman for Healthcare and Family Services, said the state is not aware of any paperwork issues. She said DeBrito paid overdue child support in October.

According to court files, DeBrito used part of a worker's compensation settlement to pay $14,187 of what he owed. He then got his hunting license and is now back on track with a $125-per-week plan, Igoe said.

Miller, who has married and is now also the mother of an 8-year-old daughter, used part of the money to expand the small kitchen that serves as a family room.

"We're a pretty close family, and we tend to gather in the kitchen," Miller said. "We have a bigger area where we can gather and enjoy board games."

The experience has LED Miller to believe holding licenses in limbo until delinquent parents pay up is good practice.

DeBrito, who lives in Geneva, feels otherwise.

"I don't agree with a lot of things they did with fishing and hunting licenses," DeBrito said. "The way the state works now, they're in control of way too many things."

Not everyone—including several statewide hunting organizations—sees it the same way as DeBrito.

"We think the program is good if the intent is to collect child support due to dependent minors," said Jered Shofner, president of United Bowhunters of Illinois. "If that's what they have to do to track them down, it's a good thing."
Top Archived
#1332224 - 03/26/08 07:28 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: IFallsRon]
Scott K Online   shocked
HotSpotOutdoors Pro Staff

Loc: Henderson, MN
I know Wisconsin does this as well! I thought MN was going to do it also, and thought they did!
Top Archived
#1332233 - 03/26/08 07:30 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: Scott K]
upnorth Offline

Loc: Chisholm, MN USA
Good idea.
Top Archived
#1332245 - 03/26/08 07:39 AM
Black_Bay Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Up Yonder
Yep that's why Minnesota asks for social security numbers. http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/ssn.html
Top Archived
#1332304 - 03/26/08 08:16 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: Black_Bay]
Sandmannd Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: Oak Grove, MN
I'm all for it. Not only should you pay for your kids, but maybe you should take them with you out fishing as well. I just hate dead beats. Kids are the best.
Top Archived
#1332306 - 03/26/08 08:18 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: Sandmannd]
BigWadeS Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Cottage Grove
I think the ones that are deadbeats and don't want to pay up to hunt or fish should come fishing, always use a good anchor and that way you wouldn't feel bad about cutting the rope when you want to leave!
Top Archived
#1332319 - 03/26/08 08:28 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: BigWadeS]
lotsofish Offline
Sr HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Ramsey, MN
In Minnesota you cannot get a drivers license if you are not paying child support. However, if you owe back child support you can still get your license if you are making the current payments.
Top Archived
#1332353 - 03/26/08 08:49 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: BigWadeS]
CrappieAttitude Offline

Loc: Merrifield, MN
 Originally Posted By: BigWadeS
I think the ones that are deadbeats and don't want to pay up to hunt or fish should come fishing, always use a good anchor and that way you wouldn't feel bad about cutting the rope when you want to leave!

I wouldn't want to be out the price of the rope left behind for deadbeat anchors.
Top Archived
#1332408 - 03/26/08 09:23 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: CrappieAttitude]
DTro Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: South of the River
Sounds like a good plan in theory, but IMO nobody is going to pay big money in back support just to get a $20 fishing license in the case that he might be checked and then fined another $100.

To me it just sounds like a platform to increase the number of poachers.

Not only that, but what about the guys that have a legitimate case pending, can they no longer hunt or fish.

Not defending any deadbeats, just playing devils advocate.
Top Archived
#1332455 - 03/26/08 10:04 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: DTro]
Scott K Online   shocked

They have to be back about 6 mos or more before they take away any privalges. And if they are fighting it in court they usually will remove any of the enforcements against them!
Top Archived
#1332517 - 03/26/08 10:51 AM
sparcebag Offline
Sr HSO Family

Loc: Minn
 Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
They have to be back about 6 mos or more before they take away any privalges. And if they are fighting it in court they usually will remove any of the enforcements against them!
Ya what process do they have to take,To show their in court?? Dealing with the Govt.By the time they can get a lisence they'll be gray!
Top Archived
#1332671 - 03/26/08 12:25 PM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: sparcebag]
Scott K Online   shocked

Sparcebag, I have dealt with this process. It is in the favor of the person that doesnt pay. My wife had a child with someone before we met. We have dealt with it many times, he will be behind enough to where they start using enforcements, then he will make a small payment, then wait a couple more months then when he gets so far behind that they take away his license privalages he says he wants to take it to court, then they immediatly remove the enforcments against him, and he gets all privlages back, and doesnt make any payments during this time. Then 4 months later when its time to go to court he pays some of it, then cancels the court date. Then it starts all over.

This system does help some people which is great, just the few morons it doesnt bother them!
Top Archived
#1332691 - 03/26/08 12:37 PM
papabear Offline

Loc: bemidji
This is good. The parents who havent paid for years and now cant hunt it is called responsibility.
Top Archived
#1332772 - 03/26/08 01:30 PM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: papabear]
Sandmannd Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Seems scum always finds the loop holes huh Wandering. That's just a discrace. Take care of your kids.
Top Archived
#1333325 - 03/26/08 07:21 PM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: IFallsRon]
shizzy Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
go for it. if you got $20 for a fishing license you got $20 to buy food for YOUR kid. My Mother was a dead beat and let me tell you it sucked watching my Pops work his [PoorWordUsage] off while my Mom jumped from state to state to keep the county 2 steps behind her and her paychecks.

the U.S. started doing this with Passports and that is also quite effective.
Top Archived
#1333552 - 03/26/08 09:47 PM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: shizzy]
Down Deep Offline
Sr HSO Family

Loc: Duluth, MN
What I don't like is that I have to give my SS number to some store clerk. The state ought to figure out way to get these deadbeats. Like use the County Social Service workers who we already pay to do it. I can't see why jail isn't a tactic either.
Top Archived
#1333748 - 03/27/08 07:00 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: Down Deep]
shizzy Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
 Originally Posted By: Down Deep
What I don't like is that I have to give my SS number to some store clerk. The state ought to figure out way to get these deadbeats. Like use the County Social Service workers who we already pay to do it. I can't see why jail isn't a tactic either.
thats just it. that method doesnt work. my dad spent years trying to get the county to go after my Mom for back child support. due to the long paper process all she had to do was move to a different county and my Pops was back to square one. he finally just gave up after a few years. this is really the only way you will nab these kind of people. take some of their rights and "privaliges" away. if she was tagged with a suspended license, no passport or jail she would have paid.
Top Archived
#1333781 - 03/27/08 07:31 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: shizzy]
Scott K Online   shocked

"What I don't like is that I have to give my SS number to some store clerk. The state ought to figure out way to get these deadbeats"

You can also give them your DNR #. The computer knows your ssn and matches it! Or hand them your old license
Top Archived
#1333997 - 03/27/08 09:27 AM
tealitup Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: St. Paul, MN
 Originally Posted By: 4wanderingeyes
Sparcebag, I have dealt with this process. It is in the favor of the person that doesnt pay. My wife had a child with someone before we met. We have dealt with it many times, he will be behind enough to where they start using enforcements, then he will make a small payment, then wait a couple more months then when he gets so far behind that they take away his license privalages he says he wants to take it to court, then they immediatly remove the enforcments against him, and he gets all privlages back, and doesnt make any payments during this time. Then 4 months later when its time to go to court he pays some of it, then cancels the court date. Then it starts all over.

This system does help some people which is great, just the few morons it doesnt bother them!

Wonderingeyes, does this guy own a house? Does he rent? An awesome lawsuit came out of Texas, whereas the custodial parent put a lien on the deadbeats house, car, boat and pension.
Top Archived
#1334054 - 03/27/08 09:56 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: tealitup]
Juneau4 Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Renville county

1 court says onething, another says another, I just wish I KNEW WHEN THE Ice WOULD BE OUT!
Top Archived
#1335223 - 03/27/08 10:15 PM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: Juneau4]
tacklejunkie Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: North of Duluth
What is the difficulty these boys have? Old enough to make babies, old enough to take care of them. Don't make babies, run, and have the taxpayers cover your irresponsibility
Top Archived
#1335226 - 03/27/08 10:16 PM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: tacklejunkie]
Sandmannd Offline
HSO Legacy Member

See my last post in the presidention candidate thread. They are pieces of junk.
Top Archived
#1335689 - 03/28/08 08:56 AM
deerhuntr8 Offline
Sr IceLeaders.com Family

Loc: shakopee, mn
This is idiotic. Nodody here has obviously paid child support. It's ridiculous how much they take out! If they made it more reasonable, maybe more dad's would pay.
Top Archived
#1335695 - 03/28/08 08:58 AM
Re: Licenses withheld until child support is paid [Re: deerhuntr8]
Sandmannd Offline
HSO Legacy Member

I agree deerhunter. I have friends who pay and they pay a lot and it doesn't take into account that you still see the kids, feed them and put clothes on them. However, just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have the right to not pay it. You should go back and fight to have it reduced rather than not pay.
Top Archived
#1335699 - 03/28/08 09:00 AM
tealitup Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: St. Paul, MN
How much would you pay if the children were still in the home? More then what you pay in child support or less
Top Archived
Use the Share Buttons below, If You Like this topic.
FishingMinnesota
HSO Business
Discover how HSO delivers outdoor marketing.
Guerrilla Tactics Unveiled - Pound this link to see for yourself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Dave, Scott K 

We Thank the
Quality Business that
Help Us Have Fun