Home | Ice Fishing Reports | HSOList Classifieds | HSOshow | Resorts,Guides,Boats | Ice Leaders | Business Services | Site Map | OutdoorProStore
@ the Leading Edge:
Search
Featured HSOList Classifieds
Mint Condition 816 V Front ice house/camper
2007 Ice Castle
Single place snowmobile trailer
Terrova I-Pilot 80 US2 Bow mount trolling motor
FS Frabill Guardian Portable Fish House
Canon 50D
**SOLD** 2005 Franklin 38? Travel Trailer For Sale!
New Topics
Biden Visiting Duluth, Hibbing Today
by leech~~
18 minutes 4 seconds ago
Secret Word 10/23 to 10/26
by RumRiverRat
Today at 08:39 AM
Open seat Saturday
by thatoneguy
Today at 08:21 AM
Events For You to Enjoy!
On The Forums ...
Best all around tire
by luckydog25
Vikes vs Bucs??
by toughguy
Warm weather and our dogs
by Ryan_V
Biden Visiting Duluth, Hibbing Today
by leech~~
Concrete Pour / Info
by 311Hemi
before buying used ATV advice
by ClownColor
Minimum Wage
by upnorth
where can I find current water temps?
by loadmaster
Pheasant breast recipes?
by bottomdweller
rope for hauling deer
by loadmaster
New Scentblocker
by ClownColor
Posting Land/Handling Trespassers and Neighbors
by Wanderer
Deer processing around PineCounty
by rumeye
Share good music
by pushbutton
Potential Wisconsin State Record Typical Buck Shot
by bottomdweller
FREE HSOList.com
Classifieds
Mint Condition 816 V Front ice house/camper
2007 Ice Castle
Single place snowmobile trailer
Forum Stats
61699 Members
233 Forums
303668 Topics
2627373 Posts
Share HotSpotOutdoors with family & your good friends.
Who's Online
220 registered Members, 1523 Guests and YOU online now.

Become family and
share HSO.

"i'm having fun"
At the Leading Edge
"!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1227709 - 01/14/08 10:08 AM
soderblooms aluma fish houses
rocki Offline
HSOList.com Family

Loc: Fairmont, MN
just wanted some general info on these houses from someone who owns or has friends that own one. look like a great shack, some input on them would be great!
#1227920 - 01/14/08 12:36 PM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: rocki]
Lip_Ripper Guy Online   content
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: South Metro
I'm also considering one of the Soderbloom houses, if I decide to buy a pre-built. One of my bigger concerns would be the strength of the house, as well as how you'd mount interior sheeting, cabinets, beds, etc. They do look like a great house.
#1228699 - 01/14/08 09:29 PM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: Lip_Ripper Guy]
stymie Offline
HSOShow.com Family

Loc: Mankato, MN
Gentleman - I purchased one of Jay Sodderblooms houses this year (6.5 x 16 w/ V front). I picked it up before he spray foamed it and brought it home to fir out and wire. I than took it back up for spray foaming and brought it home yet again to finish the inside.

I COULD NOT BE HAPPIER! I have logged over 1500 miles on the house already this year and it pulls and works like a dream. I will get some pics posted tomorrow night if you would like. Total weight of my house is just under 1 ton.

Stymie
#1228730 - 01/14/08 09:42 PM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: stymie]
ice_it_06 Offline
Sr HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Stymie:

I would like to see some pics for sure. Poster above I'm sure would appreciate finish ideas/process as well.
Pretty sure I was in your house up there when I bought my skidder from Jay late summer early fall. House had just been returned for foam after fir and wire.
I believe Jay said it was bought by someone down my way. (Faribault)
I'm thinking of a Alumalite or another simple foam skidder like 6.5' X 12'

Edited by ice_it_06 (01/14/08 09:46 PM)
#1228932 - 01/15/08 06:35 AM
Sr HSOList.com Family

Stymie-So you picked up the house before it was sprayed for firring strips. What did you use for that? I would imagine a 1"x2" or something of that nature tacked horizontally? A 16' house under 1 ton is impressive. Will an ATV pull it well enough to get where you want to go?

The other option I'm considering is the Tundra frame from Fish House Supply. If I go that route I'll be looking at probably 3,500-4,000 pounds I'd imagine. Its also time to upgrade trucks within the next year or so, and as much as I'd love a diesel, I'm trying to stay away from that $8,000 option if at all possible.
#1229978 - 01/15/08 04:44 PM
rocki Offline
HSOList.com Family

I would love to see the pics, im very interested in these houses, look like the real deal.

Catch- Photo- Release ><((((>

#1230010 - 01/15/08 05:00 PM
Northlander Offline

FishingMN Pro Staff

Loc: Duluth Mn./Superior, Wi.
I have seen a lot of Jays houses built and I can say they are a great house at a great price. Light to. Most could be hauled with a wheeler but it all depends on how much goodies you toss in it.
I do know Jay stands behind everything they make .

Fishing Minnesota Sponsors
WALLEYES4ME32@aol.com

Otter Outdoors/Rapala Ice Force Pro Staffer

IN MEMORY OF OUR BROTHER JIM HUDSON.
#1230176 - 01/15/08 07:02 PM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: Northlander]
fishinalot Offline

Lip Ripper

I have my 2nd Tundra frame and I love it! Its a 6'4" x 14', Heavy-duty, and only weighs 1900 lbs. Pull it all over the lakes with my Honda 300 and pulls down the highway strait as an arrow @ 75 mph! You will not go wrong with one, and you don't need a 3/4 ton to pull it!
#1230337 - 01/15/08 08:26 PM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: fishinalot]
stymie Offline
HSOShow.com Family

Well - this is my first attempt at pics, but here goes...

[/img]

This picture is the back of the house. The table drops down into a bunk and than there is the folded up bunk up top (w/ mattress in place)

[/img]

W/ bunk down

[/img]

Front of cabin - notice floor and ceiling vents. I have 3 compter fans wired into a plenum wall at stagered heights. They are in there with string so if one burns out, i just take off the top vent and pull out the fans. They are 3.5 inch fans and hold tight in place in the wall, yet remove easily. This pulls the hot air from the top of the house down and forces it out the bottom. I also have an oscillating fan down by the bunks to move the hot air towards the wall vents should need be. However, it really has not been a necessity. I only have about a 3 degree difference between the floor temp and the ceiling temp! You have to love the spray foam insulated floor!

[/img]

This is the cabinet above the stove/counter. I have the FM radio and XM satellite units here. My brother in law, who deserves complete credit for the carpentry work and design, custom built the entire cabinets and drawers. They are pretty cool!

[/img]

Stove and cabinets - the drawer under the stove and above the cabinet doors are on slides. I have child safety locks on them to prevent them from opening when traveling.

[/img]

Electrical - All lights, fans, radio, and XM are wired on 12 volts. I have a wizard charger that I use to keep the battery at full power while the generator is running though. This way every evening when the generator is shut off, I have more than enough power to make it through the night with the computer fans running and the LED's over the holes left on. As well as the radio on to drowned out the snoring....

[/img]

LED's over the holes

[/img]

TV Mount and connectors

[/img]

26" Flat screen High Def TV

[/img]

All the connections, DVD, and satellite are tucked away in the cabinet next to the stove. This keeps the main cabin clear and eliminates the time necessary to get everything hooked up. Just drop the TV on to the mount, hook up Component video cables and audio cables and you are up and running in high definition.

[/img]

Also under the benches in the back of the house, I have catch covers. On the left side next to the electronics, I drop down a ice well, throw all the fish down under here and they are completely out of your way! The wizard charger also generates enough heat to keep the hole open the whole weekend. Under the other bench I drop down my Aqua View. I than have a video cable that feeds up to the flat screen so we can watch all the action under the house on the main screen. No need to look at the aqua view at all. Just aim it at your bait, shut the bench top and forget it!

What I liked best about working with Jay was the ability to get a top-notch house (frame and trailer) and finish it the way I want. He stands behind his house and I truly beleive it is one of the best in the industry. Light weight, incredibly mobile and DURABLE. You can't go wrong!!
#1230348 - 01/15/08 08:30 PM
blueroof Offline

Loc: Stillwater (Maple Island), MN
Sweet shack stymie! Great finishing work. LB

account retired 10/15/08, now fishwater
#1230372 - 01/15/08 08:46 PM
Sr HSOList.com Family

Wow that is absolutely awesome. I don't know if I've ever seen such a cleanly built fish house in my life. It puts many high end home builders to shame. I hope you don't mind, but I have a few more questions.

Do you know what the inside height is, to the very top of the wall? And also the finished inside width? I'm doing some CAD drawings for how I want it to lay out.
#1230592 - 01/16/08 05:52 AM
fishinalot Offline

Great job on the interior stymie!!! How does that coverter workout for you?
#1230684 - 01/16/08 06:57 AM
SomethingFishy* Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Stearns County, MN
WOW, that is a great looking house. Now I have something to model after when I can afford to buy a smaller light weight house for early ice and local use.

2009 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 EPS Mossy Oak
26" Maxxis Bighorns on 14" Black ITP SS 212 Wheels
Polaris Prospector Pro Tracks
Dual registered as a Class 1 ATV (tires) and a ORV(tracks)
#1230692 - 01/16/08 07:03 AM
waskawood Offline

Loc: Western Minnesota
Beautiful job. Do you know the total weight?

Waska
#1230756 - 01/16/08 07:34 AM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: waskawood]
ice_it_06 Offline

He mentioned it weighed just under a ton in his post.
I believe Jay told me the houses only weigh like 1,200 lbs before the inside is finished off.

GREAT WORKMANSHIP stymie, I'm certain that was the house I saw up there. Especially if your door enters directly to your stove area.
I remember a enormous amount of wiring and the gas line leading up to your gas light by kitchenette area.
Incredible amount of planning must have been needed. Very clean looking work and detail.
#1231030 - 01/16/08 09:52 AM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: blueroof]
rocki Offline
HSOList.com Family

one of this nicest shacks i seen...........for sale??? lol
basically what i have now, with a few small differences, but i want to go aluminum.....what is the weight of it when all loaded up??? what size again??

Catch- Photo- Release ><((((>

#1231564 - 01/16/08 03:45 PM
Northlander Offline

FishingMN Pro Staff

Loc: Duluth Mn./Superior, Wi.
Stymie that is awesome. Did you send Jay before and after pics for his website yet? If not Im sure he would really like that.
Looks very very good man, great workmanship. Must be nice to have all those skills.

Fishing Minnesota Sponsors
WALLEYES4ME32@aol.com

Otter Outdoors/Rapala Ice Force Pro Staffer

IN MEMORY OF OUR BROTHER JIM HUDSON.
#1231792 - 01/16/08 06:15 PM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: Northlander]
stymie Offline
HSOShow.com Family

Thank you all for the kind words. There was much research that went into selecting the parts and deciding on the most comfortable layout. As I said before, my brother in law is the craftsman - he layed it all out in auto cad and made it come to life!

Inside dimensions side to side is exactly 6' finished. Walls to ceiling is 72 1/2" and center of ceiling is 84"

After firring it out w/ 2x2's and having Jay fill it in with spray foam, I placed a vapor barrier up, than covered all the walls with 1/4 luan. On top of the luan I than put 5/16 tongue and groove knotty pine. Wanted to make sure it didn't start to warp.

Ice_It_06 - that would have been mine, Jay's jaw dropped when he saw all the wire I had run! Total weight from Jay was junt under 1000 lbs, I added just under another 1000 lbs.

rocki - Nope, not for sale! The house is 6.5 x 16 with a V Front.

fishinalot - the converter is great, well worth the purchase. no need to carry 2 batteries.

Northlander - thanks! I have been meaning to send Jay some pics, I would love to see it on his website!
#1231820 - 01/16/08 06:26 PM
hawkeye43 Offline

Sr HSO Family

Loc: waterville mn U.S.A.
Would it be possible to look at the house. I have been thinking about buying a house from jay. This may be what I need to do to make work. If you are out on a lake or what ever, I would come.

Perch are a passion, Jumbo Perch are an Obession.

Member # 180
#1231888 - 01/16/08 06:59 PM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: hawkeye43]
fishinalot Offline

I think you should consider finishing other guys houses off on the interior!! Again Awesome job!! You should let us all know where you got everything from, so we can do the same!!
#1232236 - 01/16/08 10:20 PM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: fishinalot]
chris_gillespie Offline
Hello I'm New

Loc: Lisbon, ND
This house is amazing! How about some exterior photos? And maybe some pictures of the build. Thanks for sharing!
#1232359 - 01/17/08 06:25 AM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: blueroof]
Schloogs Offline

Loc: Eden Prairie, Mn
Am I the only one who can't see stymie's pics? All I get is a [/img]
#1232373 - 01/17/08 06:42 AM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: Schloogs]
waskawood Offline

Loc: Western Minnesota
I see them ok. Hey Stymie. Do you have any pictures of the firring strips before you sprayed it?

Waska
#1232469 - 01/17/08 07:41 AM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: waskawood]
Nate McVey Offline
HotSpotOutdoors Pro Staff

Loc: Rochester, MN
Wow Stymie, what a great looking house! I would take that thing hunting, fishing, camping, heck maybe even move out of my house and live in there! Great job!

HSO Sponsors
natemcvey@hotmail.com
Check out Rivers of Recovery
An amazing organization helping disabled vets and their families get out and fish.
#1232847 - 01/17/08 11:17 AM
Re: soderblooms aluma fish houses [Re: Nate McVey]
Farley Online   content

Sr HSO Family

Loc: Stockholm Twnsp
Sweet house, I especially like the return air system. I am also curious on how you did the firring? I believe Jay uses 1X1 tubing for studs correct?, how did you attatch the firring strips? 16 foot from the front of the V to the back right?

Edited by Farley (01/17/08 11:20 AM)
Use the Share Buttons below, If You Like this topic.
FishingMinnesota
HSO Business
Discover how HSO delivers outdoor marketing.
Guerrilla Tactics Unveiled - Pound this link to see for yourself.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Jeremy airjer W 

We Thank the
Quality Business that
Help Us Have Fun