Home | Ice Fishing Reports | HSOList Classifieds | HSOshow | Resorts,Guides,Boats | Ice Leaders | Business Services | Site Map | OutdoorProStore
@ the Leading Edge:
Search
Featured HSOList Classifieds
2007 Ice Castle
Single place snowmobile trailer
Terrova I-Pilot 80 US2 Bow mount trolling motor
FS Frabill Guardian Portable Fish House
Canon 50D
**SOLD** 2005 Franklin 38? Travel Trailer For Sale!
FL-12 Vexilar
New Topics
Yetti spare tire carrier
by Don Julio
Yesterday at 09:58 PM
Getting a Class B drivers license?
by leech~~
Yesterday at 09:36 PM
Motion sickness meds?
by Wish-I-Were-Fishn
Yesterday at 09:36 PM
Events For You to Enjoy!
On The Forums ...
$10 PROPANE FILLS!!! (20lb)
by Brad B
20 minutes 0 seconds ago
Boating Mississippi R. Elk river to Champlin
by hockeybc69
20 minutes 56 seconds ago
Greasing jackshaft bearings
by leech~~
32 minutes 37 seconds ago
Old motors
by Igor Drackenwolf
Yesterday at 11:26 PM
Ion auger...where to buy?
by OutlawBiz
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
Getting a Class B drivers license?
by leech~~
Yesterday at 11:18 PM
Royal Dutchman's Walleye Fishing Report
by fiskyknut
Yesterday at 11:13 PM
Minimum Wage
by Nick Kuhn
Yesterday at 11:10 PM
And this from a guy who earned his living from technology
by Big Dave2
Yesterday at 11:08 PM
Pandemic America
by Big Dave2
Yesterday at 11:05 PM
Motion sickness meds?
by fiskyknut
Yesterday at 11:04 PM
Winterizing advice needed please
by Capt. H (Ret.)
Yesterday at 11:00 PM
1953 Evinrude
by Capt. H (Ret.)
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
Marcum Units
by fiskyknut
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Need advice. First time smokeing.
by Walleyehooker
Yesterday at 10:38 PM
FREE HSOList.com
Classifieds
2007 Ice Castle
Single place snowmobile trailer
Terrova I-Pilot 80 US2 Bow mount trolling motor
Forum Stats
61697 Members
233 Forums
303657 Topics
2627239 Posts
Share HotSpotOutdoors with family & your good friends.
Who's Online
47 registered Members, 891 Guests and YOU online now.

Become family and
share HSO.

"i'm having fun"
At the Leading Edge
"!!

Topic Options
Hop to:
#1332777 - 03/26/08 01:33 PM
St. Louis River opener walleyes????
Snake River King Offline
Sr HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Braham, MN
Hello me and the guys are planning on fishing the St. Louis river just off highway 23 and I was wondering how is the walleyes in the spring opener???? How deep is it????? Can a 17 foot bass boat make around??? Thanks guys for your help SRK
Top Archived
#1332890 - 03/26/08 02:41 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Snake River King]
Papa Woodie Offline

Loc: Minot, ND
I'll let others reply, however, bring a spare prop. two if you got 'em. And...opener...nothing upsets more fisherman than a boat that can't stay anchored. The water will be running fast...and you need a good anchor to hold you or the guy behind you will be eating prop! Seriously....its packed in there on opener....and having someone fish in their boat 15' away from you is not uncommon.

There will be plenty of fish to be caught.
Top Archived
#1333127 - 03/26/08 05:27 PM
Col. Sanders Offline
Hello I'm New

Loc: Saginaw
When fishing up by the 23 bridge you need to be careful, and be patient. There are few ways to shoot up the rapids. Need to read the water. Maybe wait for someone who looks like they know where they are going. Even though water levels will be higher than last year, it can be very shallow quickly. Remember that on opener, above the 23 bridge is closed. St. Louis is very congested on opener, and if the water is right, it will be some of the best walleye fishing you will ever have. Don't forget that many fish have moved down river by opener, so don't be afraid to fish farther downstream. I have been fishing the river for 25 years, and I only fish up on opening weekend if we have a real late spring.
Top Archived
#1333138 - 03/26/08 05:33 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Papa Woodie]
ripstick Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: saginaw mn
Opener can be a pain in the ---. But that is a given. The big thing is watch where you are going. If you are going up all the way to 23 kike from boy scout for sure be carefull. Xtra prop not a bad idea. For sure a good anchor and most of all respect the boats around you. yeah there will be major [PoorWordUsage] done there but dont pay them no mind . Oh yeah make sure your boat is legal.Good chance you will get checked. Good luck down there and have a blast.
Top Archived
#1333744 - 03/27/08 06:57 AM
musky hunter Offline

Loc: Duluth, MN, St. Louis
17' boat is A-OK. Negeotiating from the stretch from the island up to the 23 bridge and beyond is frought with hazards if you are unfamilliar. High water will help, go slow, watch the depth finder. Watch where other boats go and procede through those routes with caution, the channel can be narrow in places. This is dark water, you can't see down 6" so unless the rock is sticking above the water you have little chance to see it. Always bring a spare prop. I only made one trip to the prop shop last year and I know where I can go, so even experienced boaters can goof up. Last year the water was so fast that early on you just about couldn't get up to the 23 bridge.
Top Archived
#1334312 - 03/27/08 12:33 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: musky hunter]
tacklejunkie Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: North of Duluth
I also fish the bays early season and do well there. You dont have to go up that high for success
Top Archived
#1334355 - 03/27/08 12:52 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: tacklejunkie]
Snake River King Offline

Thanks for all the info guys!!! Well I dont want to get into some trouble so is there parts that are deeper with less current? also I fish the Snake river a lot and I have a 14 foot jon boat with a 8hp . Do you guys think that would be a better rig?
Top Archived
#1334431 - 03/27/08 01:55 PM
Snake River King Offline

Also Is there a landing called Boy scout landing???? My buddy said that was what the landing was called thanks SRK
Top Archived
#1334527 - 03/27/08 03:06 PM
matthothand Offline

Loc: East Central Kansas
Yeah. Boy scout landing is located on 23/Grand ave/Commonwealth...It's all the same road just different names depending on where you are at. The landing is at the end of the village known as Gary-New Duluth. From Duluth as the road curves to the right the landing is a straight shot. Popular launch. Sheer rediculous with all the baot anglers and dock fishermen. Definately bring lots of anchor. Make sure to be polite, patient, and respect everyone. Sounds obvious but opener on the St. Louis is really a zoo and every year people get boats dinged, lines crossed, etc. It's gonna be a bad day for someone. It can be great though if you do it right. I'll be somewhere out there in the hordes as well. Good luck and have fun.
Top Archived
#1334845 - 03/27/08 06:30 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: matthothand]
Col. Sanders Offline
Hello I'm New

Loc: Saginaw
There is a pay launch right below the 23 bridge at the Fond Du Lac Campground. Boy Scout Landing is about 3 miles downstream. I hope that you weren't told that the only place to catch eyes on opener is by the bridge, yes it can be great, but anywhere from the Boy Scout Landing and above can hold just as many fish and without all the hazards.
Top Archived
#1334996 - 03/27/08 08:09 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Col. Sanders]
Northlander Offline

FishingMN Pro Staff

Loc: Duluth Mn./Superior, Wi.
If you dont know the 23 bridge area I recomend you stay down below water street and into walleye alley. If your putting in at Boyscout expect a real zoo and get there well before dark or you will be in line for a hour or more.
Lots of boats out and now a big contest opening day so expect even more. I will be putting in at the High bridge and running up. Better landing, more parking, a few less people. Drawback is if weather is bad its a real bugger to get up river some times.
Anchor and jig, pull spinners, pull cranks, slip bobber the weed edges, hand line or pull a lindy rig. They all catch fish.
I have a feeling it will be a great 1st few weeks on the river. Fish came in late so they will be in longer than usual.
Dress warm and have good rain gear.
A good 25# anchor or even 2 is a must by 23. I recomend a Richtor in the 18-25# range at leats. 2 if ya go 18 and 1 25 is good most of the time.
Good luck and take it slow above water street if you do get brave enough to head up that way.
Oh I run a aluminum prop up there. Stainless will cost ya big time.
As far as bait bigger is usually better. Dont be afraid to jig plastics and hair jigs. In the current they really shine.
Top Archived
#1335134 - 03/27/08 09:21 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Northlander]
tacklejunkie Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: North of Duluth
best advise is to avoid the opener and go during the week
Top Archived
#1335293 - 03/27/08 11:33 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: tacklejunkie]
Tom Linderholm Offline
Sr HSO Family

Loc: Barkers Island
I suggest putting in and finding a lund with a large man with a orange stocking cap sporting FM stickers. He will usually follow you around waving at the people that wave at you.

I will tell you what, it's no rookie gruond above boyscout, not saying your a rookie, I was my first year up there, know your path and be prepared to adjust as fit.
It's likely the most boats I have had to contend with while fishing, with river current to boot.

BTW.
Steve, what tourney is on opener?
Top Archived
#1335783 - 03/28/08 09:43 AM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Tom Linderholm]
Northlander Offline

FishingMN Pro Staff

Cheffrey the Congress Bar closed so Al from D's picked up the opener contest tradition and is doing it out of whatever bar he has out in gary now. I cant remember the name.
Anyhow its supposed to be $1000 for 1st place. Biggest walleye. Depending on # of boats. We will see.
Me and Ripstick are going to give it a shot. If we dont hook anything over 28" we wont even show up for the awards.

As far as following a guy with a orange hat on Im retiring that hat from the river. Im now going with a red bomber.
Chefferey you could follow me if ya can keep up. ;\)

Edited by Northlander (03/28/08 09:45 AM)
Top Archived
#1335826 - 03/28/08 10:18 AM
Tom Linderholm Offline
Sr HSO Family

Loc: Barkers Island
Ohhhh! You know I have you beat with the bow fixed. You will have to wait till midweek opener to see that.
Top Archived
#1336042 - 03/28/08 01:07 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Tom Linderholm]
Duffman Offline
HotSpotOutdoors Pro Staff

Loc: Savage
Debaiting whether I want to join the madness or not this year. Two years ago it was a raging current, watched as a floating 50ft spruce almost took out Bushwac and his boat. Last year it was low, I'm sending a prop to Solderblooms soon for that reason. \:\)

Be prepared for some combat fishing, for some things that you've never seen before, and be prepared for the organized chaos that is known as the St. Louis River opener.
Top Archived
#1336061 - 03/28/08 01:21 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Duffman]
SKIPPERS KID Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Duluth, mn. st louis
Tom, The one on opener in MOLDEEZE in gary. I will hope to get out a few times befor the Gand Slam. Just to join the fun and get some fish. Cheffrey, If you have room on sunday we could get out and find some that steve did not find. Tom give me a call and let me now if you have room or I will be out there some where.
Top Archived
#1336280 - 03/28/08 03:30 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: SKIPPERS KID]
Northlander Offline

FishingMN Pro Staff

You mean ones I let pass. ;\)
Duff the last 2 years have been poor havent they? Im hoping for a "Normal" opener and some better fishing. The last 2 openers were very slow up top. Down below was much better.
Top Archived
#1336558 - 03/28/08 07:39 PM
ripstick Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

This year it would be nice if it was good weather. At least we could get a tan while we watch cheffery search and not destroy.The big thing is to get rid of the ice. Any c-4 out there. It would open up in hurry.
Top Archived
#1336568 - 03/28/08 07:47 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: ripstick]
Northlander Offline

FishingMN Pro Staff

Im having a auger party at all the landings in 2 weeks. We will swiss cheese that ice but good. Hopefully that will get me out in time to get into some back bay crappies this spring.
Top Archived
#1336609 - 03/28/08 08:25 PM
Wade Joseph Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: South Range, WI
how about a pump sprayer and some black food coloring?
Top Archived
#1336621 - 03/28/08 08:45 PM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Wade Joseph]
Northlander Offline

FishingMN Pro Staff

Now that just might work Wade. HMMM?
Top Archived
#1336786 - 03/29/08 05:26 AM
Wade Joseph Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: South Range, WI
I used to break up the ice behind the Lock and Dam down by La Crosse to enable us to fish more open water. If I can fina a ramp thats open to get my boat in the water, I can show you guys how to do it. Get three or four boats at it, we can have the big chucnks flowing towrd the lake in no time.
Top Archived
#1340724 - 04/01/08 11:11 AM
Re: St. Louis River opener walleyes???? [Re: Col. Sanders]
Snake River King Offline

is there any spots to camp on the bank on the St. Louis river????
Top Archived
#1341324 - 04/01/08 06:45 PM
ripstick Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Yes there is up by the 23 bridge. A nice campground.
Top Archived
Use the Share Buttons below, If You Like this topic.
FishingMinnesota
HSO Business
Discover how HSO delivers outdoor marketing.
Guerrilla Tactics Unveiled - Pound this link to see for yourself.

We Thank the
Quality Business that
Help Us Have Fun