Home | Ice Fishing Reports | HSOList Classifieds | HSOshow | Resorts,Guides,Boats | Ice Leaders | Business Services | Site Map | OutdoorProStore
@ the Leading Edge:
Search
Featured HSOList Classifieds
2007 Ice Castle
Single place snowmobile trailer
Terrova I-Pilot 80 US2 Bow mount trolling motor
FS Frabill Guardian Portable Fish House
Canon 50D
**SOLD** 2005 Franklin 38? Travel Trailer For Sale!
FL-12 Vexilar
New Topics
Lake Hendricks
by landscaper
9 minutes 52 seconds ago
Scent
by Huntin&Fishin
37 minutes 1 second ago
Clam x2 pro thermal-Dave Genz model
by Kyle
Today at 08:52 PM
Events For You to Enjoy!
On The Forums ...
Posting Land/Handling Trespassers and Neighbors
by deerminator
4 minutes 23 seconds ago
2014 NoDak Waterfowl Reports
by bemidjibasser
5 minutes 22 seconds ago
LOTW ice fishing
by Boar
6 minutes 9 seconds ago
MN Pheasant Summit?
by brittman
9 minutes 1 second ago
Lake Hendricks
by landscaper
9 minutes 52 seconds ago
Filson Chaps?
by Rip_Some_Lip
13 minutes 59 seconds ago
Audit Push: Time To Act!
by smsmith
14 minutes 1 second ago
Walking Dead
by eyeguy 54
14 minutes 15 seconds ago
puffballs
by eyeguy 54
16 minutes 10 seconds ago
Arctic pro muck boots
by picksbigwagon
18 minutes 30 seconds ago
Kayak fishing
by hardcore365
20 minutes 32 seconds ago
2014 Chev 1500 LT 4 x 4
by CaptainMusky
21 minutes 25 seconds ago
Poverty and MN elderly
by leech~~
23 minutes 26 seconds ago
New Pup!
by CaptainMusky
30 minutes 1 second ago
boars bear hunting year end review
by Boar
33 minutes 1 second ago
FREE HSOList.com
Classifieds
2007 Ice Castle
Single place snowmobile trailer
Terrova I-Pilot 80 US2 Bow mount trolling motor
Forum Stats
61691 Members
233 Forums
303624 Topics
2626854 Posts
Share HotSpotOutdoors with family & your good friends.
Who's Online
196 registered Members, 1832 Guests and YOU online now.

Become family and
share HSO.

"i'm having fun"
At the Leading Edge
"!!

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#2942550 - 11/11/12 09:28 PM
Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda
Colemanvdh123 Offline
IceLeaders.com Family

Loc: Olivia Minnesota

Seems to me that these two are the two big dogs this year for ice auger. Which one is better. Give your opinion or experience thanks.
#2942564 - 11/11/12 10:14 PM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Colemanvdh123]
Brad B Online   content
HotSpotOutdoors Pro Staff

Loc: Monticello, MN
Originally Posted By: Colemanvdh123

Seems to me that these two are the two big dogs this year for ice auger. Which one is better. Give your opinion or experience thanks.

it depends on how you plan to use it.

pros and cons of each :

Jiffy Propane :

pros :

cheaper purchase price
can re open holes
hardly any fumes

cons :

heavy unit (28lbs)
heard it has been known to be hard to start in really cold weather. (this is based on reports from some people that have this auger)

Strikemaster with the Honda

Pros :

light weight (23lbs)
sealed crank case (no oil leaking from muffler)

cons :

high price tag
not good at re opening holes (comes with a lazer drill unit)
reports from people that bought it say the throttle cable is routed in such a tight way that the cable binds and one report even notes the cable disconnected from the lever because of this.

If it was me I would look at the new electric Ion Auger that came out this year and skip these other two, but if I had to choose between the two I would lean towards the Jiffy even thou it is heavier and could be harder to start in the extreme cold.

Catfishing is not a hobby it is a way of life.

Clam Powerstick

#2942604 - 11/12/12 05:38 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Brad B]
Jim Uran Offline

Loc: Lengby/Waubun
Agree with Brad, get the proven one. what is your fishing style?

2 Corinthians 5:17
The measure of a great angler isn't in how full his bucket is!!
jimuran1879@gmail.com
#2942618 - 11/12/12 06:02 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Brad B]
anderson_dc Offline
HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Pleasant Hill, IA
Brad: The Jiffy Pro4 is closer to 35-36 pounds. That kind of weight difference makes it a "no brainer" for me.
#2942630 - 11/12/12 06:19 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: anderson_dc]
Gus Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Wyoming, MN
I returned my pro4 last year after my second outing left me stranded with no holes. No start. No spark.

If you are used to a strkemaster, even an older model like I was. The pro4 is H E A V Y. I exchanged mine for a strikelite (robin) version and couldn't be happier.

If I recall correctly the Pro4 motor is an unnamed Chinese manufacture. Not that all foreign things are bad, but my opinion on the pro 4 motor is it's cheap junk. Yeah, I'll take flack from guys who love theirs. Sorry, mine left me stranded after 2 outings. POS IMHO!

I've also never had an issue re-drilling holes with my laser bit. Had one since 1996.
#2942631 - 11/12/12 06:19 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Colemanvdh123]
FirstIce Offline
HSOShow.com Family

Loc: MN
What about the new Jiffy 4G? Personally I am a Jiffy man. Made the switch 3 years ago. I had a lazer and had to many problems with it. The drill had to get sent in twice because they said the pitch was off and I also hated it when trying to re drill holes in the wheel house. I then bought a 9" stx pro and absolutely love it! Sure it does weight a bit more. Maybe 8 or so more pounds when compared to models of the same year. I will take that reliability and 8 extra pounds any day. I still have no problem scouting with my jiffy.

After all most of us do have wheelers and vehicles where we drive to our spots or pull a sled with our gear in it to get there. Then we typically drill all over around that area with in 100yds and when we find nothing we go back to our means of transportation and keep moving on... Most people will NOT carry an auger on a 1/2 mile trek or to far away from there transportation. Makes no sense

Edited by FirstIce (11/12/12 06:21 AM)
#2942664 - 11/12/12 07:27 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: FirstIce]
brian6715 Offline
Sr HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Faribault / UMD
Originally Posted By: FirstIce

After all most of us do have wheelers and vehicles where we drive to our spots or pull a sled with our gear in it to get there. Then we typically drill all over around that area with in 100yds and when we find nothing we go back to our means of transportation and keep moving on... Most people will NOT carry an auger on a 1/2 mile trek or to far away from there transportation. Makes no sense

What about when I fish "first ice" and a wheeler or car is not an option? That is the best fishing! I can throw my SM over my shoulder and walk way more than a 1/2 mile and not get tired at all! Also, what about the people who can't afford a wheeler or don't want to have to rely on bringing a wheeler to the lake every time? I bet I walk an average of 1-1.5 miles each outing until I can drive, and I am drilling holes almost the entire way... always in search of that elusive new spot.

You saying it makes no sense basically is like saying it's not possible to be mobile with a power auger, so I'm buying this huge heavy auger and limiting myself to having a vehicle to transport it for me.
#2942669 - 11/12/12 07:36 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: brian6715]
Ballyhoo Offline

Loc: Northern Mn, LOTW
If the ice is too thin to drive an ATV on then a chisel works just fine. If you want to scout a bunch of holes then get a cordless drill. I personally have used both SM and Jiffy and will never buy anything but a Jiffy. If you aren't sure look at what the resorts use, Most use Jiffy.

He returned from a full day of fishing smelling of strong drink and the truth was not in him.
#2942674 - 11/12/12 07:45 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Ballyhoo]
Bass N Spear Offline

Loc: Sartell, MN
I have a strikemaster my whole life and have no problems with them.

my boss has the propane and loves it, but man it throws way to much ice. the shavings go everywhere and i hate that

Take a Kid Spearing!!
Spearing Isn't A Sport, Its a Family Tradition!!!

HotSpotOutdoors.com Prostaff/Spearing Prostaff
Clam Outdoors!
bassnspear@yahoo
#2942675 - 11/12/12 07:46 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Ballyhoo]
brian6715 Offline

I guess I just don't see the point in limiting yourself, when the lighter and faster technology exists. I am not sure if it's a good argument for any brand of auger when you back it up by "you can always use a chisel!"
#2942689 - 11/12/12 08:02 AM
FirstIce Offline
HSOShow.com Family

Originally Posted By: brian6715

What about when I fish "first ice" and a wheeler or car is not an option? That is the best fishing! I can throw my SM over my shoulder and walk way more than a 1/2 mile and not get tired at all! Also, what about the people who can't afford a wheeler or don't want to have to rely on bringing a wheeler to the lake every time? I bet I walk an average of 1-1.5 miles each outing until I can drive, and I am drilling holes almost the entire way... always in search of that elusive new spot.

You saying it makes no sense basically is like saying it's not possible to be mobile with a power auger, so I'm buying this huge heavy auger and limiting myself to having a vehicle to transport it for me.

That's why I mentioned a plastic sled for those "first ice" occasions. I don't plan on carrying an auger over my shoulder, carrying my bucket, my flasher and my rods, etc. all at one time across the lake. Why not invest in a cheap sled to put it in instead $20-$30 bucks and it saves on your body and the potential for dropping stuff all the time. 2c
#2942692 - 11/12/12 08:07 AM
brian6715 Offline

I have a plastic sled and do exactly as you say, it works great! But when you get to an area and find some active fish, I like to make a loop and drill 10-15 more holes... that is where you don't want to have to pack your auger in a sled every time, that would just be annoying. Throwing the SM over my shoulder works great in this instance.
#2942695 - 11/12/12 08:12 AM
FirstIce Offline
HSOShow.com Family

Originally Posted By: brian6715
I have a plastic sled and do exactly as you say, it works great! But when you get to an area and find some active fish, I like to make a loop and drill 10-15 more holes... that is where you don't want to have to pack your auger in a sled every time, that would just be annoying. Throwing the SM over my shoulder works great in this instance.

Agreed. I like your style
#2942718 - 11/12/12 08:32 AM
Hawg Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Minnesota
I didn't like the idea of the heavy Pro 4 either but my SM razor blades let me down too many times. The Jiffy spins faster than a SM but you don't need to go full speed in a house, just let off a bit. I still own both a Pro 4 and a SM(with a chipper blade) so I'm covered.
#2942745 - 11/12/12 09:08 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Hawg]
DTro Online   sleepy
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: South of the River
I would think that most people have their own way of transporting an auger across the ice. Whether it be on a vehicle or a sled. That is the norm I think. Weight shouldnít really be an issue as far as transporting. Drilling a ton of holes? Thatís where I think weight is an issue.

However for the person asking which auger is better? You should ask yourself how you intend to use it. Donít buy into what others think is best, buy what suits you best.

Reopening holes? Consider a chipper blade. Permanent house? Consider propane or electric.

Drilling tons of holes looking for active fish? Consider a shaver type blade and a lightweight unit.

Donít want to mix oil and gas? Consider a 4 stroke, electric, or propane.

Donít want worry about maintaining carbs or worrying if your auger might not start and maybe donít want to deal with pull starting something at all? Consider electric.

There is no perfect answer for everyone.

Personally, I prefer a light quick auger. Dealing smoke, sound, and mixing gas isnít a big factor for me. For others it most certainly IS.
#2942751 - 11/12/12 09:15 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: DTro]
brian6715 Offline

Originally Posted By: DTro
I would think that most people have their own way of transporting an auger across the ice. Whether it be on a vehicle or a sled. That is the norm I think. Weight shouldnít really be an issue as far as transporting. Drilling a ton of holes? Thatís where I think weight is an issue.

However for the person asking which auger is better? You should ask yourself how you intend to use it. Donít buy into what others think is best, buy what suits you best.

Reopening holes? Consider a chipper blade. Permanent house? Consider propane or electric.

Drilling tons of holes looking for active fish? Consider a shaver type blade and a lightweight unit.

Donít want to mix oil and gas? Consider a 4 stroke, electric, or propane.

Donít want worry about maintaining carbs or worrying if your auger might not start and maybe donít want to deal with pull starting something at all? Consider electric.

There is no perfect answer for everyone.

Personally, I prefer a light quick auger. Dealing smoke, sound, and mixing gas isnít a big factor for me. For others it most certainly IS.

+1

This post should be saved and brought up every time we get into a Jiffy vs. Strikemaster convo! Now can someone write one for the Vex vs. Marcum conversation?
#2943094 - 11/12/12 05:24 PM
Fishin4fun_MN Offline
Sr IceLeaders.com Family

Loc: SW MN
Jiffy Pro4. Biggest problem with them is you have to keep the propane bottle WARM. If it gets cold, no go. Jiffy has a bottle warmer. Was at the Dakota Angler Ice Institute this past weekend and while the SM is quieter, the Jiffy had more torque and power when the guys hit the throttle. If I were to purchase a new one, I would buy the PRO4. I love my current Jiffy. I chose it because of others tournaments having Jiffy's and seeing how well they work, but also seeing first hand the down falls of several SM on local lakes.

Just because I don't eat fish, doesn't mean I don't enjoy fishing...it is relaxing and fun.

Trophy Life Member NAFC
Ice Team Member
Recycled Fish Memeber
SWMN Fishing Club
AWA Fishing Team
Adam
#2943119 - 11/12/12 05:51 PM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Fishin4fun_MN]
fisherman-andy Offline

Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Twin Stars
Originally Posted By: Fishin4fun_MN
Jiffy Pro4. Biggest problem with them is you have to keep the propane bottle WARM. If it gets cold, no go. Jiffy has a bottle warmer. Was at the Dakota Angler Ice Institute this past weekend and while the SM is quieter, the Jiffy had more torque and power when the guys hit the throttle. If I were to purchase a new one, I would buy the PRO4. I love my current Jiffy. I chose it because of others tournaments having Jiffy's and seeing how well they work, but also seeing first hand the down falls of several SM on local lakes.

More power and torque does not necessarily equal a better or faster auger as its been proven many times. Efficiency in the auger design and blades as well as rpms can help dictate the drill.

Here's a youtube of the Jiffy Propane vs Strikemaster strike lite II:

http://youtu.be/6z9-JhO8aQY

Now considering the Honda is more efficient and faster the then older Subaru robin strike lite II im not hesitant to say it will out drill the Jiffy propane. I like to see the Jiffy on dual non-chipper blades though.
#2943203 - 11/12/12 07:46 PM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: fisherman-andy]
creepworm Offline

Loc: Brookings SD
Originally Posted By: fisherman-andy
More power and torque does not necessarily equal a better or faster auger as its been proven many times. Efficiency in the auger design and blades as well as rpms can help dictate the drill.

Here's a youtube of the Jiffy Propane vs Strikemaster strike lite II:

http://youtu.be/6z9-JhO8aQY

Now considering the Honda is more efficient and faster the then older Subaru robin strike lite II im not hesitant to say it will out drill the Jiffy propane. I like to see the Jiffy on dual non-chipper blades though.

According to the Strikemaster rep I talked to, the Honda will drill a hole at the same speed as the old Subaru Robin powered strikemaster. The Honda has the same drill, spinning at the same RPM, with the same gear ratio, and the same horsepower. According to him, what you gain with the Honda is the enclosed crankcase, the Honda name, and the ability to take it to any Honda repair place to have it worked on.
#2943223 - 11/12/12 08:18 PM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: creepworm]
fisherman-andy Offline

Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Twin Stars
Originally Posted By: creepworm

According to the Strikemaster rep I talked to, the Honda will drill a hole at the same speed as the old Subaru Robin powered strikemaster. The Honda has the same drill, spinning at the same RPM, with the same gear ratio, and the same horsepower. According to him, what you gain with the Honda is the enclosed crankcase, the Honda name, and the ability to take it to any Honda repair place to have it worked on.

From what I seen for feedback on the forums of the few who have field tested it have made claims that it is quicker then the Subaru robin engine, drilled side by side. However there's been very litte info or videos shown of the auger in real world condition action.

Here's the Honda Strikemaster:
http://youtu.be/NNeS0cLnN4E

#2943327 - 11/12/12 11:19 PM
Jonny P Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: Waskish, MN
My family has run Jiffy ice augers since sometime in the 80's and they have always been good to us but this year I am going with the Strikemaster. Lighter, cleaner and a Honda motor. There is a reason our remote propane pumps use Honda motors, 90% of the working generators you see on the lake are Hondas. The Honda name in general just screams dependable. I made the switch to Strikemaster this year as I believe they hit the nail on the head with this one.

Outdoors with JonnyP
Red Lake Remote Ice Fishing Rentals

Fourth Generation Four Season
Upper Red Lake Area Guide
#2943404 - 11/13/12 06:13 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Fishin4fun_MN]
Gus Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Wyoming, MN
Originally Posted By: Fishin4fun_MN

The power of the jiffy motor was limited by it's transmission/clutch. It slips (as designed) when load gets too high. The short time I had mine, with fresh blades still, I had to pick up on it to keep it from slipping off and on throughout a hole drill. It sure did seem to tear into the ice initially. Chips fly EVERYWHERE! One other reason I just thought returning mine was the best option. What a mess in the permmie. For porty fisherman, probably not an issue.
#2943529 - 11/13/12 08:23 AM
Re: Jiffy propane vs. Strikemaster Honda [Re: Gus]
cold one sd Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: South Dakota USA
I believe the Jiffy Pro 4 engines are manufactured in California which is kinda foreign to me. wink

IF YA CAN'T CATCH IT, SHOOT IT OR EAT IT; IGNORE IT!!!
#2943578 - 11/13/12 09:16 AM
RiverChuckNorris Offline

Loc: St Paul
Originally Posted By: fisherman-andy
[quote=creepworm]

From what I seen for feedback on the forums of the few who have field tested it have made claims that it is quicker then the Subaru robin engine, drilled side by side. However there's been very litte info or videos shown of the auger in real world condition action.

Here's the Honda Strikemaster:
http://youtu.be/NNeS0cLnN4E

This video doesn't make sense. I emailed Strikemaster directly and asked them if they were going to offer the Honda 4 stroke with a 10" auger and they said "no plans to at this time as the Honda is only 35cc".
Yet, at the beginning of the video, Rapala's Gregg Wollner sais "the 10" auger, 4 stroke Honda".
Not really a big deal, just strange I guess

So you're sayin there's a chance!
Use the Share Buttons below, If You Like this topic.
FishingMinnesota
HSO Business
Discover how HSO delivers outdoor marketing.
Guerrilla Tactics Unveiled - Pound this link to see for yourself.

Moderator:  Jeremy airjer W 

We Thank the
Quality Business that
Help Us Have Fun