Home | Top Stories | HSO INSIDERS | Fishing Reports | HSOList Classifieds | HSOshow | Resorts | Ice Leaders | Business Services | Site Map | OutdoorProStore
@ the Leading Edge:
Search
Featured HSOList Classifieds
Remington .243, nearly new!
Savage 22-250, nice!
Field Bred English Springer Spaniel Puppies
Grand Master Bred Black and Yellow Pointing Labs Pups
Black lab puppies
Started lab
Field bred GSP pups
New Topics
Bolete ID help
by NoodleSalad
Chantrelles poppin in Duluth
by NoodleSalad
11:58 PM
2015 Polaris Slingshot LAUNCH
by vman11
11:10 PM
Events For You to Enjoy!
On The Forums ...
Bolete ID help
by NoodleSalad
Brakes on my Curado?
by M1dwestF1sh
Chantrelles poppin in Duluth
by NoodleSalad
11:58 PM
Rate your spring 'shrooming season...
by Stick in Mud
11:53 PM
2014 Archery Season/Trips
by Scoot
11:47 PM
Bass on OT
by bigg edd
11:46 PM
2015 Polaris Slingshot LAUNCH
by vman11
11:29 PM
Lake Superior 1st Timer ???
by LuckyGPSFeller
11:25 PM
Heading to Lida
by JeffB
11:14 PM
2014 Red River at Grand Forks Report
by proguide
10:52 PM
Let's talk Flippin Sticks......again
by LoonState
10:37 PM
parent and disappointment
by delcecchi
10:25 PM
Which cell phone?
by delcecchi
10:13 PM
Large Area To Kill Off Before Seeding
by delcecchi
10:08 PM
Albert Lea-Austin-Faribault
-Mankato-Northfield-
Waseca, Fishing Reports

by Billy G
10:06 PM
FREE HSOList.com
Classifieds
Remington .243, nearly new!
Savage 22-250, nice!
Field Bred English Springer Spaniel Puppies
Forum Stats
61466 Members
233 Forums
301579 Topics
2598898 Posts
Share HotSpotOutdoors with family & your good friends.
Who's Online
38 registered Members, 893 Guests and YOU online now.

Become family and
share HSO.

"i'm having fun"
At the Leading Edge
"!!

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#2902660 - 09/04/12 09:49 AM
Fish Trap Lake Landing
Igor Drackenwolf Online   content
HSOList.com Family

Loc: Wright County, MN
I know that this landing has a bad reputation for being weed-choked. I've seen it myself in years past.

But for the sake of all that is holy, I've never seen a public landing that is more pathetic than the DNR landing at Fish Trap Lake.

There is NO POSSIBLE WAY than anyone with a bunk-trailer leaves that lake legal. MAYBE with a roller-trailer.

I backed in to wet my bunks and when I pulled forward the entire trailer was covered with weeds. They had a rake on the dock, but it was futile. I tried to clear the weeds away from the landing and they would just fill in behind the rake. I tried raking them out of the water, and new weeds would fill the space. I was forced to conclude that there was no way to clear the landing of weeds prior to landing, and that I had to just land the boat and try the best I could to pick weeds off, knowing that weeds would be trapped between the bunks and the hull.

My two teenage sons and I were on our backs under the boat for at least 1/2 hour picking weeds off the trailer, and got it pretty clean. But there is no way we're legal.

If the danged DNR is going to regulate a clean boat, and the danged DNR is going to use taxpayer dollars to provide landings, then the danged DNR needs to make a reasonable effort to give boaters a reasonable chance to obey the danged law.

What a fiasco.

Edited by Igor Drackenwolf (09/04/12 09:51 AM)
#2902738 - 09/04/12 11:33 AM
Re: Fish Trap Lake Landing [Re: Igor Drackenwolf]
motley man Offline
Sr HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Motley,mn.
I agree that Fishtrap landing is terrible for weeds. I have seen a few trailers that in no way could you ever get all the weeds off from between the bunk and boat. I have a ShoreLander trailer so I only back all the way in to launch and only to the rear rollers to load. I clean my trailer after launching and when loading I don't have alot of weeds. Don't know if there is any way to keep the weeds out of that area. Good luck and great fishing!
#2902747 - 09/04/12 11:49 AM
ThunderLund78 Offline

Loc: New Prague, MN
I've had the exact same experience there. Pulled our pontoon last year and it looked like a parade float with streamers dangling coming out of the water. My dad and I spent an hour and even got out the knives to cut what we couldn't get out from between the bunks and pontoons. We did the best possible job given the circumstances. Any effort to back it to get the weeds off the bunks would've resulted in more weeds. No way we were legal either, but as I said, we did all we could. I agree that given the attention to invasives, they should look at options to do a better job of keeping landings clear. While most would do their due diligence, I gotta think there's a lot of people out there that wouldn't spend the time that we did. Hard to get cooperation when those kind of conditions exist. Didn't know they had a rake there, that wasn't even an option last year.

"My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana and I said no but that I was going to want a regular banana later so... yeah."

R.I.P Mitch Hedburg (1968 - 2005)
#2902801 - 09/04/12 01:14 PM
Re: Fish Trap Lake Landing [Re: ThunderLund78]
HSOList.com Family

I don't know who put the rake there ThunderLund. It was just laying on the dock. It coulda been a local homeowner or the Campfire Bay folks for all I know.

I know it's not a "Green" thing to say, but I think herbicide would be a great option. Just enough to clear the area around the landing. Something has to give. Either that or relocate the landing.

The government is wrong to put people in the position of running afoul of the law no matter how hard we try to obey it. Now the only difference between me and a convicted law-breaker is that a DNR officer has not seen the weeds trapped between my bunks and my hull. I daresay a policy that makes law-abiding citizens into criminals is an immoral policy.
#2902811 - 09/04/12 01:32 PM
skee0025 Offline

Loc: Prescott, WI
Sad to hear its gotten that bad. That was my stomping ground growing up. My Grandparents owned the little green and white cabin right by the landing. Last time I was up there the bay was getting a bit weedy but it wasnt that bad. Hard to think that much time has passed.

Anybody who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian.
#2902900 - 09/04/12 03:24 PM
Re: Fish Trap Lake Landing [Re: skee0025]
ThunderLund78 Offline

I'm not even sure it's all the weeds around the landing itself. There was a a pretty stiff E/SE breeze blowing all weekend and the natural vegetation is starting to die off and come uprooted. it doesn't take much for a lot of stuff to pile up in that little inlet. Combine that with the stuff that does get chewed up in props by people coming and going and you got a recipe for a mess.

I did see the Sheriff at the landing when I drove by, They're on the lake at least every weekend and probably during the week too. Would be curious to know if they say anything to the DNR about the conditions.

Edited by ThunderLund78 (09/04/12 03:35 PM)

"My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana and I said no but that I was going to want a regular banana later so... yeah."

#2902975 - 09/04/12 05:38 PM
HSOList.com Family

I was so concerned about the fact that I might be held accountable for something over which I had no control that I took multiple photographs of the landing from multiple angles, just so I would have something to show a DNR officer if I was challenged because of weeds.

You're right about the ESE breeze ThunderLund. That may well have contributed to the situation. It was indeed worse on Sunday morning pulling out than it was on Thursday afternoon going in. But I STILL had to clean the trailer extensively Thursday after dumping the boat. The difference, of course, being that without the boat on the trailer it took 5 minutes and I was able to do a thorough job.
#2911471 - 09/20/12 02:28 PM
smallie_hawgin Offline

Loc: St. Cloud MN , USA
Ya know... It really wouldn't matter where the access was on any lake with abundant valsneria (Eel grass as some people call it) this time of year. All it takes is a wind in the right (or wrong) direction. Other lakes get concentrations of vegetation at the access areas too.

A little trick I use that some may find strange, but, it is effective... If you turn the stern towards the access and give a little shot of flow at the ramp, the vegetation will typically clear out enough to load your boat. Granted there is a timing issue there.

That said, you can't possibly blame the DNR for the abundant vegetation in a lake....What exactly would the DNR be expected to do with your license dollars that would alleviate this particular issue?? I mean seriously??

Land use, other treatments that lake shore owners seem to be in favor of that increases lake phosphorous?? Those might be some contributors to the problem.. Just another opinion here. whistle

SH
#2911753 - 09/20/12 11:24 PM
Re: Fish Trap Lake Landing [Re: smallie_hawgin]
HSOList.com Family

I certainly don't blame the DNR for vegetation. But at the same time, the DNR is placing law-abiding citizens at risk of breaking the law in spite of our best efforts to obey it.

Surely it makes sense that if the DNR is going to demand a clean boat, it follows that boaters have some minimum expectation that landings will be kept reasonably clean. Conversely, if it is not possible for landings to be kept reasonably clean, the law should reflect that reality, and some other method should be devised to control invasive species than punishing people for dirty boats and trailers.

They've saddled us with a lose-lose scenario when a landing is not clean.
#2920211 - 10/05/12 11:02 PM
Coach1310 Offline
Sr HSOList.com Family

Loc: Central MN
First off, once you get that breeze, those weeds are in that little bay to stay. If the access was on the main lake somewhere you wouldn't have near the problem. My folks have a place on the lake and I can tell you when we get the right breeze, they are 2-3 feet thick along their shoreline. I think the DNR should install a spigot and house on lakes with invaisives at the access to allow you another tool to keep it from spreading. If you could hose off the tough to reach places, more folks would spend a bit extra time, but a lot of guys aren't crawling under their trailer to pull off weeds. It is really just a perfect storm on Fish Trap with access location, winds and weed content in the lake.

"I'll make it." --- Jimmy Chitwood --- Hoosiers

#2921268 - 10/08/12 01:41 PM
Re: Fish Trap Lake Landing [Re: Coach1310]
ThunderLund78 Offline

My bro-in-law and I did a fall fishing outing on trap two weeks ago and once again spent about 45 min doing our due diligence. It was absolutely disgusting. Luckily we had a few towels (beyond what we needed to sponge out the livewell) because the landing was more like a slough. A small animal could've easily walked across the slime, let alone the dead weeds that extended in a thick matt, far past the end of the landing dock. We had to vigorously scrub the boat to get all the slime off. And there were weeds between the rollers and the boat that were impossible to remove, so we just had to accept it. We took pictures of the landing and the trailer before we started plucking, just to give any officer an idea of the conditions should we have gotten stopped. I'm from southern MN and a vast majority of our lakes are pea soup and weedy throughout. ButI've never encountered landing conditions like that down here. Kind of ironic for a cleaner lake like Fish Trap.

The guy who pulled out just after us did not bother. He claimed he was "just pulling it back to the cabin, so he didn't care." Kinda made me mad as I stood there all sweaty and slimy. And while I wouldn't do it myself, I couldn't say that I blamed him. It's gonna happen if conditions are like that. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done there.

At a bare minimum, a spigot would be nice. Then you could haul a pressure washer if you have one (which I would GLADLY do). Unbelievable that it's come to that for a solution. BYOPW!

#2921777 - 10/09/12 10:41 AM
MI Friend Offline
HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Charlevoix, MI
Sad situation! I live in Michigan and we have had the weed issue for sometime now.
We at Breezy Point in Sept. like the past 9 years. I fish many area lake, every place I went others would remind me to drain and clean, which I always do even when I do not use a livewell and never put the trailer in the water. I am set up to launch and load with not even puting the wheel hubs in the water. The sad thing is that, as with Michigan the weeds will spread, not just by boaters but by birds and animals. Cannot clean a bird or beaver!! In Michigan, our biggest lake, Houghton was choked with Milfoil. The DNR did a chemical treatment and it worked. If you go to Google and search "Houghton Lake, MI weed treatment" you can get some info. Best to all.
Use the Share Buttons below, If You Like this topic.
FishingMinnesota
HSO Business
Discover how HSO delivers outdoor marketing.
Guerrilla Tactics Unveiled - Pound this link to see for yourself.

Moderator:  jpz, Sportland_Bait, swampbuck, Traxxx 

We Thank the
Quality Business that
Help Us Have Fun