Home | Top Stories | HSO INSIDERS | Fishing Reports | HSOList Classifieds | HSOshow | Resorts | Ice Leaders | Business Services | Site Map | OutdoorProStore
@ the Leading Edge:
Search
Featured HSOList Classifieds
Remington .243, nearly new!
Savage 22-250, nice!
Field Bred English Springer Spaniel Puppies
Grand Master Bred Black and Yellow Pointing Labs Pups
Black lab puppies
Started lab
Field bred GSP pups
New Topics
Ninilchik area August 2-8
by Simon Malinski
15 minutes 32 seconds ago
Finally
by eyeguy 54
29 minutes 13 seconds ago
Gas Leaking from 4 stroke
by Mnfisher
34 minutes 11 seconds ago
Events For You to Enjoy!
On The Forums ...
Barry Cuts Line in Texas-Impeach Him?
by nofishfisherman
1 minute 51 seconds ago
In Israel
by Duffman
1 minute 55 seconds ago
Intensive Harvest Goose
by erikwells
12 minutes 45 seconds ago
Ninilchik area August 2-8
by Simon Malinski
17 minutes 26 seconds ago
Trail Cam Pics '14
by pointerdog
24 minutes 27 seconds ago
Finally
by eyeguy 54
31 minutes 7 seconds ago
Deer regs 2015 gun season
by Black Bear
32 minutes 46 seconds ago
More pickled eggs
by jpz
33 minutes 52 seconds ago
Crankbaits
by FshBloodRiverMud
34 minutes 48 seconds ago
Gas Leaking from 4 stroke
by Mnfisher
36 minutes 5 seconds ago
Chuck Knoblauch
by bbfenatic
39 minutes 5 seconds ago
Blue berries
by Satchmo
40 minutes 9 seconds ago
Pie plates and big grins!
by Tom Sawyer
42 minutes 19 seconds ago
2014 Regs gonna affect the way and where you hunt this season?
by 1eyeReD
46 minutes 3 seconds ago
Fishing with the mighty Tom Sawyer
by Tom Sawyer
52 minutes 31 seconds ago
FREE HSOList.com
Classifieds
Remington .243, nearly new!
Savage 22-250, nice!
Field Bred English Springer Spaniel Puppies
Forum Stats
61449 Members
233 Forums
301530 Topics
2598364 Posts
Share HotSpotOutdoors with family & your good friends.
Who's Online
193 registered Members, 1717 Guests and YOU online now.

Become family and
share HSO.

"i'm having fun"
At the Leading Edge
"!!

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#2369685 - 10/04/10 01:25 PM
Baptism River
JBMasterAngler Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: White Bear Lake, MN
Not that it matters now, since the season is closed, but I was curious...does the stretch of river that runs along county road 7 have any trout in it? When I was a kid, before we knew it actually was the baptism river, me and my dad always thought it'd be full of northerns. But now I'm wondering if it might be a nice place to throw the canoe out (probably in the spring) for some brook trout.
#2369721 - 10/04/10 01:40 PM
Re: Baptism River [Re: JBMasterAngler]
CRAZYEYES Offline
Sr HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: COON RAPIDS/ KABETOGAMA
Its pretty good along that stretch between finland and the bridge. Its really wide in a few areas and there probobly are some pike in there too. Caught both brooks and browns in there and there are some pretty decent ones around. It would be a good place to drop the canoe at the bridge and float down to where the rapids are stopping at a couple of narrows to trout fish. If you head up a couple miles I've also caught them on the manitou and moose creek up by the railrioad bridge.

The only thing tougher than me is corn!
#2370007 - 10/04/10 06:51 PM
Re: Baptism River [Re: CRAZYEYES]
JBMasterAngler Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Thanks, sounds like it could be fun. I've caught some nice brookies on the baptism at the campgrounds on hwy 1. Right in finland I've only caught chubs, but I'm sure that spot gets hammered all the time.

Do you know how deep it gets through there? I'm guessing 5 ft at most. I imagine weeds get to be a problem later in the summer too? Like I said though, definitely a spring spot for me smile
#2370046 - 10/04/10 07:41 PM
CRAZYEYES Offline

Loc: COON RAPIDS/ KABETOGAMA
I dont know but there are pools below a couple of the narrows that are over my head because i've found that out the hard way retrieving a spinner. I think you're right about the camground that it gets hit hard because I've never done well even though it looks really good. It also gets hit along 7 though because it follows so close to the road and you can see all the tracks and there always seems to be a couple guys in lawnchairs at the bridge pool. One thing is you either need waders or be willing toget wet hit the nice eddies. Lots of little designated lakes around too.

The only thing tougher than me is corn!
#2370061 - 10/04/10 07:58 PM
Re: Baptism River [Re: CRAZYEYES]
reinhard1 Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: Mn. USA Andover
the strech above the bridge pool and upward would have better results in my opinion. there are little creeks that cross 7 and other forests roads that have wild brookies in them. they get almost no attention for lack of trails near them. the best luck would be to hit the small trout lakes in the area. there are many and they can be found in the lake finder in the dnr site and some that are not mentioned and takes a little effort to get to. good luck.

You Know You Have Gone Too Far When You Turn Your Fireplace Into A BBQ Pit.
#2372356 - 10/07/10 10:29 AM
Re: Baptism River [Re: reinhard1]
shogun Offline

Loc:
above the bridge on that side of the road is private land.
#2372409 - 10/07/10 11:14 AM
Re: Baptism River [Re: shogun]
reinhard1 Offline
HSO Legacy Member

its been years since i fished that part of the river but i know i cought some brookies there. of course i would not enter posted private land. good luck.

#2372704 - 10/07/10 05:28 PM
JBMasterAngler Offline
HSO Legacy Member

There's plenty of public land to access the river, so I'm not worried about that. I'll be driving along there tomorrow so I'll do some recon on access points and places to park. Fish or no fish, could still be a fun adventure if I can hit it up next spring.
#2372754 - 10/07/10 06:29 PM
dooger Offline
HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Duluth and Brainerd MN
If you enter on a road right of way (public) and stay in the water you are legally not trespassing since they do not own the water or land beneath the water and you entered on public land. Just looked it up in the regulations and it says that it is a rule of thumb and does not cover all cases though.

Dooger
#2373048 - 10/08/10 06:52 AM
Re: Baptism River [Re: dooger]
finn-land Offline

Loc: silver bay,mn
there are some real good places to fish in the dead waters, some deep pools too. 10-20 feet. its fun to go out there in a canoe with a flasher and vertical jig in the deep water. you could try behind the rec hall/ball feild in finland. rapids dump into a deeper pool. i would steer clear of private land, there are a few different people that live out that way if ya know what i mean.
#2373782 - 10/08/10 10:21 PM
Re: Baptism River [Re: finn-land]
JBMasterAngler Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Drove along there today. Lot's of water to cover, with some prime looking spots. I found a couple favorable access points. Looked like the water was low though, and VERY weedy! One landowner had a small pontoon docked in the river smile
#2375421 - 10/11/10 08:39 PM
JBMasterAngler Offline
HSO Legacy Member

One observation I forgot to mention, there were a couple beaver dams along the stretch of river that made some section high, and the downstream sections low. I know beaver dams can make or break a trout stream, what is the opinion on their effects of the baptism?
#2375897 - 10/12/10 11:18 AM
reinhard1 Offline
HSO Legacy Member

i guess i never gave it much thought. if you are talking about the strech below the bridge, they would be visiable by the dnr and be removed if they created a problem. the positive thing i would think they create deeper water for the fish for survival in cold winters for freeze outs. one negative thing would be it would prevent movement of fish in the river although i would think fry and small fish could go through. on the otherhand new beaver dams could disrupt pools below them in thier levels. kind of like nature disrupting its own eco system. just thoughts not an expert on beaver dams. good luck.

#2376517 - 10/13/10 05:37 AM
oilandwater Offline

Beavers have been around here for a LONG time, so have the fish, and in much better size and numbers before the state began messing with beavers. Look at the example of the Knife River. Before the DNR started 'managing' beavers in the watershed with dynamite, there were series of pools that held water year round. Older steelhead anglers remember the days of incredible fishing along the entire river WITH the beaver dams. Now that the Steelhead Assoc has convinced the DNR that beavers are bad and pushed them to remove all the dams, there is little to regulate the water levels year round. Just watch how fast the Knife (and the others) rise and fall after a rain. There is nothing to hold back any water for the fish; its either a torrent or a trickle. The same holds true for all of our tribs. Like reinhard said, the dams help create differences in habitat for food, shelter, year round water depth, etc, and some fantastic fishing spots if you can find one that no one has fished in a while...
#2376541 - 10/13/10 06:13 AM
Re: Baptism River [Re: finn-land]
dooger Offline

Loc: Duluth and Brainerd MN
I would have to agree with oilandwater. From what I have found fishing brook trout, there are much larger and more fish near beaver ponds both above them and below them. One thing that I do know is that beavers can cause quite the problems too for fisherman. Especially when they have 3 or 4 dams in a row. Then the river just ends up becoming a flooded woodland and makes getting around and fishing very difficult. I guess I would have to say that some beaver ponds are good to a certain extent.

Dooger
#2379380 - 10/16/10 12:04 PM
Re: Baptism River [Re: dooger]
biff Offline

Loc: Duluth
Ya, beaver dams can make for some good brookie fishing but they can be bad for steelhead as they can block migration/spawning areas. I'm all for the dnr getting rid of them in the reaches that are accessible to steelhead.
#2379460 - 10/16/10 04:52 PM
Re: Baptism River [Re: biff]
shogun Offline

Loc:
The reason beavers are bad for trout streams is they cut down all of the trees, destroying the shade, which keeps the water temperatures cool enough to support trout. Even with trees and shade, the beaver dams create dead water, which will heat up in the sun and raise the temperature of the whole river - unfavorably warm for most trout.
#2390373 - 10/30/10 06:24 AM
Re: Baptism River [Re: shogun]
MnIceman Offline

Loc: Cambridge & Finland, MN .
The guy with the pontoon , owns land on the other side of the river. The pontoon has been there for 5 or more years now.
#2391506 - 11/01/10 06:52 AM
musky hunter Offline

Loc: Duluth, MN, St. Louis
Beaver dams and trout are an interesting topic. The biggest brookies I ever took, a half dozen in the 16" category, came out of a beaver dam. But the next year the beavers were either trapped or killed by predators and the dam broke. The trout were long gone downstream. This was many years ago on a north shore stream not that far from the Baptism but not in the Baptism watershed. My conclusion is that there is at least a short term gain from beaver dams. But I can also see the long term detrimental effect as shade trees are felled and the pond silts up.
Use the Share Buttons below, If You Like this topic.
FishingMinnesota
HSO Business
Discover how HSO delivers outdoor marketing.
Guerrilla Tactics Unveiled - Pound this link to see for yourself.

We Thank the
Quality Business that
Help Us Have Fun