Home | Ice Fishing Reports | HSOList Classifieds | HSOshow | Resorts,Guides,Boats | Ice Leaders | Business Services | Site Map | OutdoorProStore
@ the Leading Edge:
Search
Featured HSOList Classifieds
Shappell S2000 Portable Ice Shack / Fish House / Hunting Blind
St. Croix Premier 7? 9?, XXXHF Musky / Catfish Fishing Pole
6 X16 fish house
9 x 18 Ice House (skid) / Perfect for year-round use
Strikemaster Lazer Mag Xpress auger
Otter Cottage II portable
New Beretta 92FS 9mm
New Topics
Which combination of sonars get along best inside one fish house?
by Cove
18 minutes 47 seconds ago
Newer Lithium ion batteries?
by magicstix
29 minutes 36 seconds ago
Ice conditions and wheel houses
by Jmlsmp
33 minutes 8 seconds ago
Events For You to Enjoy!
On The Forums ...
Gopher Football 2014
by LMITOUT
Which combination of sonars get along best inside one fish house?
by bigbad401
Lake finder
by 20lbSloughShark
Enclosed Stand Height
by Dave
sheetrock screws starting to buldge.
by wally diver 2
Walking Dead
by LMITOUT
Ice fishing show in Duluth this year
by JimW
Escanaba in da Moonlight-Sap Whiskey?
by perchking
Redwood Lake
by motownmasher
Duluth ice fishing show
by caseymcq
Hummin bird or vexilar
by bigbad401
Hilldog! Oh this should help her in 2016
by pushbutton
Ice conditions and wheel houses
by PRO-V
Newer Lithium ion batteries?
by magicstix
Deer Jerky?
by hockeybc69
FREE HSOList.com
Classifieds
Shappell S2000 Portable Ice Shack / Fish House / Hunting Blind
St. Croix Premier 7? 9?, XXXHF Musky / Catfish Fishing Pole
6 X16 fish house
Forum Stats
61821 Members
233 Forums
304576 Topics
2641014 Posts
Share HotSpotOutdoors with family & your good friends.
Who's Online
278 registered Members, 2433 Guests and YOU online now.

Become family and
share HSO.

"i'm having fun"
At the Leading Edge
"!!

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
Hop to:
#1690079 - 01/08/09 02:30 PM
Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV
Pickelfarmer Offline
Sr HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Detroit lakes/Frazee MN
Just wondering what Sled everyone likes for towing behind your snowmobile or ATV. I just got a snowmobile this year and from the looks of it I will be useing it alot this year out on the lake. This question can be for home made style sleds as well.I guess the design of the sled is more what I'm asking about not brand. I.E. Type of front,size,heigth of sides,Runners(if any)type of hitching system to whatever your towing it with,weight of sled?

Dad? Dad? I think my bobber fell off. I cant see it anymore.
#1690122 - 01/08/09 02:51 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: Pickelfarmer]
BoxMN Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: WBL, MN & Crosslake weekender
I have a medium and magnum sized otter sled (just to give you sizes). I tow them both behind my snomo. I have an otter brand rigid hitch on one, and I use a homemade rope and PVC "semi-rigid-hitch" for the other.

Night and day, the "real" rigid hitch is much better, and I will probably be getting another to replace the homemade. The homemade one keeps in line for the most part, and prevents it from coming forward into the snomo or other sled, but it really is squirrely when being towed, at least compared to the brand hitch.

I use hyfax kits on both, and that certainly helps.
Good luck and have fun with the sled! smile

-Box
#1690828 - 01/08/09 08:00 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: BoxMN]
Pickelfarmer Offline

Loc: Detroit lakes/Frazee MN
where do you buy a rigid hitch from? Is it something that will fit any kind of system? Also, what kind of a hitching system hooks to the sled/ATV? I mean is it a pin kind of hitch or something else?

Dad? Dad? I think my bobber fell off. I cant see it anymore.
#1690878 - 01/08/09 08:22 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: Dave S]
Sandmannd Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: Oak Grove, MN
It connects with a pin. I got mine off of HSOList.com. There are a lot of stores you could get them from. Not sure if he carries them or not, but look at pro fishing supply.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~Elizabeth Stone
#1690889 - 01/08/09 08:28 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: Dave S]
Dead-C-Force Offline
HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Minn. USA
Most snowmobile dealers will sell the hitch part you will need for your snowmobile, or check with Dennis Kirk up off 35 north of the cities. I had one on my Arctic Cat, it bolted-clamped to the rear bumper grab handle, and worked very well.

Like the other Gent said, get an otter sled. They have any size you might want, and they have a good quick release semi rigid hitch system that just pins to the back of your snowmobile or ATV. They sell hard plastic runners if you really want to get some extra service out of the bottom of your sled, really a good idea. otter Outdoors, or what ever they are called, is a Minn. company, located out near Maple Plain on 55. You can call them, place an order, they will ship or you can drive out and pickup. Nice to patronize a Minn. company.

There are other cheaper sleds, and lighter duty than an otter. I will say you get what you pay for, and we all have to buy what we can afford. But some of the sleds that are not Otters are sort of "toy-like" and break apart- or the sides and front are not very high, or not very durable. I see posts on other forums, from guys trying to figure out how to modify their "non-otter" sleds this year so that they do not drag and plow so much snow, and take so much snow over the top edge of thier "toy" sleds.

Enough said. Look around, Google "otter sleds, Minnesota" and you will see. Didn't mean to offend anyone that has a non-otter sled-- I actually own some Eskimo gear myself... I just like Otters sled best!
#1690909 - 01/08/09 08:34 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: Dead-C-Force]
&JAG Offline

Loc: Near the Bluffs

2011 HSO Fantasy NASCAR Champion

UND Fighting Sioux Hockey... enough said.

#1691044 - 01/08/09 09:37 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: &JAG]
BoxMN Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: WBL, MN & Crosslake weekender
Pickel farmer, the nice thing about actual rigid hitches is that they are made for the sled you will tow (different ones for differnt brands). Fits perfect. Also, they have sort of spring loaded "shocks" and will also keep it from flipping if you hit a slope hard. They are also quick release, make attaching them and taking them off real easy and quick.

You can go the hitch route on the snomo (I did and the one for the application works better than the generic hitch, but I do have both on two sleds - got one to fit my yamaha for $21) or you can just fabricate your own. Then you use a quick snap pin, or whatever they are called, to attach to the sled bumper/hitch. Works like a charm.

Even though I thought my homemade semi-rigid-hitch was going to work great, and be cheap, the $50 I would spend on a real one is well worth it, and I will be getting another soon. The sled just pulls so much better and straighter behind it over the PVC/rope one, but the PVC one does work.

-Box
#1691049 - 01/08/09 09:41 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: BoxMN]
deadeye Offline
Sr HSO Family

Loc: fishin in da hood
otter w/hyfax

Jon><>
Bad decisions make good stories.
#1691068 - 01/08/09 09:53 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: deadeye]
superbee Offline

Loc: Off Lake, Ontario
Equinox makes great sleds, do a search for them and check out all the different sizes and styles. They are very durable and will last forever. Takes a ton of abuse and shows no wear.

Gateway North Outfitters

Canadian Hunting & Fishing
Open Year Round
:
info@gatewaynorthoutfitters.com

(807) 482-1388
#1691110 - 01/08/09 10:37 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: superbee]
jigginjim Online   content
Sr HSO Family

Loc: Buffalo, MN, USA
otter sleds, w/ hyfax

The little kid your take fishing today, could be the one taking you fishing years from now. Jiggin Jim's fishing guide

You snuff 'em, I'll stuff 'em, Jiggin Jim's Taxidermy
Great prices..
#1691113 - 01/08/09 10:41 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: jigginjim]
Sandmannd Offline
HSO Legacy Member

Loc: Oak Grove, MN
Originally Posted By: jigginjim
Otter sleds, w/ hyfax

They are the best and most durable.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~Elizabeth Stone
#1691128 - 01/08/09 11:03 PM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: Sandmannd]
Ron Vroom Offline
HSOShow.com Family

Loc: Bemidji, MN, United States
For most of us in Minnesota, otter does the job and are sold about everywhere. But you will get a different opinion in Canada with more extreme temperatures and conditions. Trappers use a couple different brands which are more durable but also much more expensive. Their hitches fasten about a third way back on the sled and give a much better ride on rough terrain. The sleds are made of different material which is less brittle in extreme cold which is one complaint they have about Otters breaking.

RonBunyan
#1691203 - 01/09/09 05:44 AM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: Ron Vroom]
Vex Guy Offline
HotSpotOutdoors.com Family

Loc: Central MN
Otters!!
#1691230 - 01/09/09 06:06 AM
Re: Best sled for towing behind Snowmobile/ATV [Re: Vex Guy]
Ed Carlson Offline
HSO Hall of Fame Member

Loc: A van, down by the river.
I would recommend the original heavy otter tubs or a Polar sled equipped with a Frabill Universal tow bar system. Hy fax's are a smart investment on any tow able unit.

The Frabill Universal hitch system in less costly and in my opinion offers more user friendly options and convenience.

One pin removed the hitch, and the single sturdy square tubing tow bar makes close corners on a ATV more doable than with a V bar hitch style system.

Ed "Backwater Eddy" Carlson ~ ~ ><,sUMo,> ~ ><CD
Use the Share Buttons below, If You Like this topic.
FishingMinnesota
HSO Business
Discover how HSO delivers outdoor marketing.
Guerrilla Tactics Unveiled - Pound this link to see for yourself.

Moderator:  Jeremy airjer W 

We Thank the
Quality Business that
Help Us Have Fun